26 - Collier County Announces New Mandatory Evacuations
Collier County has announced mandatory evacuations for people living west and south of U.S. 41. These evacuations are in addition to the evacuations the County has called on for Goodland, Everglades City and Chokoloskee. Hurricane Irma has the potential to induce dangerous and damaging storm surge in those areas.
Collier County understands that there may be some facilities, including hospitals and nursing homes, where residents may have to shelter in place. However, the county is asking those facilities to ensure that residents do not stay higher than the third floor.
Residents of mobile homes throughout Collier County, especially those east of Collier Boulevard (S.R. and C.R. 951), are strongly advised to evacuate to a hardened structure or to an emergency shelter.
Residents who can are urged to shelter with family or friends in a secure area. Those who do not have a secure place to go are urged to shelter at one of our emergency shelters.
Emergency Shelters - Those who plan to use emergency shelters should take any necessary medications, cell phone chargers, toiletries, favorite snacks and anything else they need to be comfortable.
A special needs only shelter opened at Palmetto Ridge High School, 1655 Victory Lane, Naples, Florida 34120, for electrically dependent or bed ridden pre-registered clients who require nursing care. A family member or caregiver is asked to accompany the special needs person at the shelter.
General population shelters opened at the following locations.
- Immokalee High School, 701 Immokalee Drive, Immokalee, Florida 34142 (no pets – this shelter is full)
- Immokalee Middle School, 401 N. 9th St., Immokalee, Florida 34142 (pets allowed)
- Cypress Palm Middle School, 4255 18th Ave. NE, Naples, Florida 34120 (pets allowed)
- North Collier Regional Park, 15000 Livingston Road, Naples, Florida 34109 (pets allowed – please note that due to preregistration, this shelter is full and will not accept anyone who is not already registered)
- Gulf Coast High School, 7878 Shark Way, Naples, Florida 34119 (no pets)
- Oak Ridge Middle School, 14975 Collier Blvd., Naples, Florida 34119 (no pets - this shelter is full)
- Lely High School, 1 Lely High School Blvd., Naples, Florida 34113 (no pets - this shelter is full)
- Golden Gate High School, 2925 Titan Way, Naples, Florida 34116 (no pets)
Note the shelters at Immokalee Middle, Cypress Palm and North Collier Regional Park will be pet friendly for vaccinated and crated dogs and cats only. Pet owners must bring their vaccination records, the appropriate size kennel for their animals, food and water for a minimum of three days, bowls and all supplies including waste bags and litter. When taking pets outside, they must remain leashed, and pet owners are responsible for picking up pet waste. There must be a family member or care taker of the pet present in the shelter always.
Collier Area Transit (CAT) - To facilitate transportation to and from the county’s emergency shelters, Collier Area Transit fares will be waived until the emergency shelters close. Buses with routes close to open shelters will deviate to take residents who need a ride to the shelter.
All non-essential Collier County government facilities will be closed from 5 p.m. today to 5 p.m. Monday. This includes parks, libraries, permitting services, etc.